1. The University of Cape Verde (Uni-CV) is a center for the creation, diffusion and promotion of culture, science and technology, articulating study and research in order to enhance human development as a strategic factor for the sustainable development of the parents.
2. Uni-CV shall pursue, inter alia, the following purposes:
Promote human development in its entirety, emphasizing the scientific, technical, ethical, social and cultural dimensions, and having as paradigm the constant search for high standards of quality;
Foster fundamental and applied research activities aimed at contributing, in a creative way, to the country’s development;
To promote the entrepreneurial capacity of Cape Verdean society, contributing to the training of human resources in the priority areas of development
Provide diversified services to the community, with a view to reciprocal appreciation;
Develop scientific, technical and cultural exchange with research institutions and higher education, national and foreign;
To contribute to the development of international cooperation and to the rapprochement between peoples, in particular in the fields of education and knowledge, science and technology;
To contribute to the modernization of the education system of Cape Verde at all levels, namely through the research, adoption and dissemination of new teaching and knowledge promotion methodologies, taking advantage of Information and Knowledge Technologies (ICT).
The University of Cape Verde should be governed by a set of values, namely:
1. Freedom, understood as a privileged space of creation and free circulation of ideas, not being subject to ideological taboos of any species;
2. Excellence, defined as the commitment to the unceasing pursuit of knowledge, seeking Uni-CV to always be on the threshold of scientific and technological innovation, as well as at the forefront of the use of modern methods of teaching-learning.
3. Autonomy, from the academic point of view, understood as the right of the University (and the means of exercising it) to define its own aims and objectives, to draw up its plans and programs, to guarantee the free exercise of research, teaching and extension; from the financial point of view, such as the ability of the Public University to manage and generate revenues.
4. Quality, Uni-CV assumes the following dimensions as constituting the concept of quality: (i) Relevance, in the sense that the university is socially relevant; (ii) Equity, in order to widen opportunities for educational access and success for all Cape Verdeans, regardless of their social status and place of residence. (iii) Approach by competencies, in order to guide pedagogical processes for construction of learner skills;
5. Entrepreneurship, Uni-CV promotes education for the initiative and assumes itself as a privileged space for promoting the culture of entrepreneurship, contributing to the development of the creative initiative and the entrepreneurial capacity of the Cape Verdean society.
6. Sustainability, in the sense that all the actions necessary for the implementation of the University take into account the financial balance and the managerial capacity of the University itself in the course of its trajectory.
7. Internationality, understood as the insertion of the Public University in regional and world spaces of higher education and science and also as the orientation to make international standards in the field of research and teaching in objectives to be achieved and also as a strategy for to configure UniCV as a space of attraction for students and teachers from different national and linguistic backgrounds.